DIARRHOEA / LOOSE MOTIONS
- Oral Rehydration is most important part of the treatment. Intake of fluids must be increased to prevent dehydration. Consume ORS (oral rehydration solution) after every loose motion. Ready ORS sachets are available outside. (How to make Homemade ORS for an adult : 1 litre of water + 6 tsp sugar + ½ tsp salt). The aim is to replace the fluid loss and the lost electrolytes.
- Other fluids that can be used to rehydrate – coconut water, plain water, buttermilk, apple juice, pomegranate juice, vegetable soups), diluted lemonade.
- If you are breast feeding, kindly continue to breast feed the infant.
- Offer light, easily digested food like stewed apple, apple juice, pomegranate, arrowroot kanji (starch made from boiled rice), khichdi, rice, curds etc.
- Avoid food like fried, oily, spicy or heavy foods like eggs, raw foods, non-vegetarian food, foods which are heavy to digest etc. In case of children, kindly avoid milk as long as the diarrhoea persists.
‘PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN CURE’
To prevent Diarrhoea –
- In infants, continue exclusive breast feeding for 6 months.
- Drink boiled water all through the year, especially during the monsoons.
- Avoid bottle feeds. Prefer cup feeds rather than the bottle feeds.
- General hygiene during preparation of foods is crucial.
- Eat well-cooked food always.
- Always cover your food.
- Avoid roadside unhygienic food.
- Avoid soft drinks.
- Do not consume stale food or leftover food from the previous day.
- Wash your hands before cooking meals, before and after meals and after visiting the washroom.