DR. PARINAZ HUMRANWALA M.D.(Hom) CONSULTANT HOMOEOPATH
DIET INSTRUCTIONS FOR CONSTIPATION
- Eat high-fibre foods.
- Cereals and Whole grains- oats, maize, barley, jowar, bajra, whole wheat and brown rice.
- Pulses and Legumes- kidney beans (rajma), all pulses (with skin), dried beans, peas, sprouts.
- Vegetables- Raw vegetables in form of salads. Green leafy vegetables, potatoes and carrots with skin.
- Whole fresh fruits-with the skin on e.g. apples, grapes, peaches, pear, guava, chickoo.
- Include Anjeer [Figs] and black raisins in your diet.
- Soak 3 to 4 dry figs and 10 to 12 desiccated dry black raisins and it overnight and to be consumed next day morning including the water in which it has been soaked.
- Prunes, kiwis help relieve constipation.
- High fibre foods should be started in small amounts initially. The amount can be increased as tolerance is acquired.
- Drink plenty of fluids. Have at least 8-10 glasses of plain water. Supplement with fruit and vegetable juices, soups, buttermilk and green tea.
- Eat small meals throughout the day, rather than 3 large, heavy meals.
- Chew food very well and take at least 20 minutes to finish your meal.
- Exercise helps keep the gut healthy and encourages motility and bowel movement. Thus regular exercise for at least 30 minutes is essential.
- A Dietary Fibre Supplement May Be Helpful e.g. psyllium husk (Isabgul).
- Flax meal can be purchased already ground. Or, you can buy the seeds and grind them yourself. Flax meal is a good source of natural fibre and health-promoting Omega-3 fatty acids. It can be stirred into or sprinkled on foods.
Foods to AVOID include:
- All simple or refined carbohydrates (white bread, pasta, cookies, cakes, crackers, maida etc.) The label should say that the bread contains whole wheat flour. Some manufacturers artificially colour bread brown to make it look more wholesome.
- Processed foods, deep-fried foods, fast foods, and junk food. Soft drinks, alcohol, coffee, sweets, chocolates, soda, caffeinated drinks.
- Red meat and dairy products like cheese, etc.
- Bran should not be sifted from the flour as it has fibre.
- Stay away from over-the-counter laxatives.